In The Flow Between Hard Places, the undulating edges of this monumental sculpture represent the sound waves created in uttering the word pasapkedjinawong (“the river that passes between the rocks”) in Anishinaabemowin, as spoken by Anishnaabe Elder Rose Wawatie-Beaudoin. A river is constantly in motion—a symbol for the power of nature and the passage of time. Monnet points to a critical historic moment one hundred years ago when Chief Pakinawatik from Kitigan Zibi (Maniwaki) travelled 600 kilometres through waterways to Toronto with sixty other Algonquins to request from the Office of the Governor General that parts of their traditional territory be returned.
Commissioned by the Toronto Biennial of Art and made possible with the generous support of the RBC Emerging Canadian Artist Program.
Learn more about Caroline Monnet’s practice by listening to the Short Format series on the Toronto Biennial of Art Podcast. Interviewed by Aliya Pabani, episode 1 with Monnet is is available HERE.
A multidisciplinary artist, Caroline Monnet (Algonquin-French, born in Outaouais, QC, Canada; lives in Montreal, QC Canada) studied sociology and communication at the University of Ottawa and the University of Granada before pursuing a career in visual arts and filmmaking. Her work is included in numerous collections such as: Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec, Quebec City; National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa; RBC Royal Bank; and Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal.
Hear Caroline Monnet on episode 1 of the Toronto Biennial of Art Podcast “Short Format”, available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and Spotify.
Small Arms Inspection Building
Small Arms Inspection Building was originally part of a large munitions plant built in 1940 before it was acquired and renovated as an art centre by the City of Mississauga in 2018. With its female dominated workforce, Small Arms Limited manufactured thousands of rifles daily for the Canadian and Allied forces in WWII. In 1990, the TRCA conducted an environmental audit of the site, revealing the presence of polychlorinated biphenyl, volatile organic compounds, and combustible gases across nineteen acres. More than 70,000 tons of contaminated radioactive soil was removed to eventually transform the Arsenal Lands into a park.
1352 Lakeshore Road East